The Harold Leever Regional Cancer Center, a comprehensive cancer center offering a patient and family-centered approach to high quality cancer care, launched a holiday social media campaign to raise awareness about cancer screening and encourage people to get screened as a gift to themselves this holiday season.
The campaign highlights five cancer types that can be screened for using the latest medical guidelines and technology:
- Prostate: PSA levels checked and regular rectal exam for men aged 50 and over.
- Lung: Low-dose CT (LDCT) scan of the chest for people aged 55-77 who are or were heavy smokers.
- Colon: Annual colonoscopy for men and women starting at age 45.
- Skin: Regular self-exam and professional screening for people of all ages.
- Breast: Annual mammographic screening beginning at age 40 for people of average risk.
“Cancer screenings are such an important thing to do for your health, and really one of the best gifts you could give to yourself this holiday season,” said Deborah Parkinson, Operations Director of the Leever Cancer Center. “Many cancers are very treatable when caught early, and all of the screenings themselves are relatively easy, fast, painless, and usually covered by insurance. We encourage everyone to consider giving themselves a great self-care gift this year by getting screened.”
Screening recommendations may vary depending on age, personal and family history, and other medical conditions and risk factors. Consult your primary care physician to see which screenings are right for you.
Happy holidays, and here’s to your good health!